Tesla’s $6,000 Full Self Driving option will receive a $1,000 price bump next month, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.
While Tesla is happy to sell the Full Self Driving feature, owners who elect to purchase the technology can’t use it for full self driving. The full promise of the feature is to come at a later date.
Tesla describes the feature as such:
Full Self-Driving Capability
- Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
- Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
- Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
- Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
- Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
Coming later this year:
- Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs
- Automatic driving on city streets
In addition to the complex technology required to achieve autonomy, Tesla will likely have to navigate regulatory approval for the feature. So, there’s a chance an owner could purchase the Full Self Driving option, but not be able to use it in their area. Tesla has a lot to prove, but the actual use of the technology will require some consideration from a society not completely confident in robo-cars.
This price bump for FSD comes after the company recently released a “Smart Summon” feature, which enables owners to use the Tesla app to request their car to drive to them without human control.
Is it a big enough tease to justify an extra $1,000?
No-touch operation, making charging as simple as plugging the vehicle in and walking away
NEMA 3R enclosure for both indoor and outdoor applications
Standard safety features including a cord breakaway system and non-live current wire